Thursday, August 31, 2006

Buy a balloon aunty!

Its amazing how quickly we become de-sensitized to some situations....especially towards children on roads. when in India, we forget that children are indeed just children. Whether they are in school uniforms crossing busy roads or abandoned pearls...they are all children. I tried to imagine what would happen to these 'Balloon Boys'. I wish I knew exactly how much of their innocence remains...or that if I did put them in a school they would remain there.

I was on my way someplace today when I saw a whole bunch of children playing in the neighbourhood. Cars slowed down, drove 6 or 7 feet away from the curb and drivers were watchful and careful. Are the children in Seattle any more valuable than the ones that are forced to sell balloons on the streets of Bangalore??

A question without an answer....a situation that can't be helped no matter how much you try to.

Its hard to remain hopeful!!


They sell balloons for a living....people buy the balloons for their children...who are probably as old as these kids. As in most third world countries children such as these are left to fend for themselves. From their perspective, these balloons are not something to play with. Its their next meal...or joint....most sniff glue, drink, smoke....whatever helps them get through this cruel life!!

When I went near them I saw how tired they were...weary little bodies exhausted from an entire day's work. The time was half past 10...well past any child's bedtime. The boy in the forefront had a packet of food for all of them and wanted to just eat and sleep. The others were more keen on being photographed and were ecstatic when they saw themselves in the LCD screen. The little boy in the blue shirt was most eager to be photographed...he seemed most hopeful as well.

I wish I had taken better pictures...but my battery pack was giving me such a hard time...the camera went dead after every picture I took...:-( If not for Pradz and his generous offer to use his battery for the rest of my trip, I'd be shutter crippled!! Again Pradz...thanks buddy!! :-)))

Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger bottled-imp said...

yeah chay there are so many things that are not right with this world right now. maybe someday things will be all different. maybe.

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home